The Hondeklip (dog stone)
The Dog Stone is a big gneiss rock that so closely resembled a dog, it inspired Thomas Grace to name Hondeklipbaai, which means “Dog Stone Bay”.
In 1853 the “Dog” was defaced when its ear was chopped of and taken to Cape Town in order to start the fictitious “Dog’s Ear Copper Company”. During a severe lightning storm in the 1970s, it lost its nose as well.
At the Honnehokke, there are five resident Yorkies who bask in the sun like rock lizards. True to the heritage of the town, the Honnehokke Resort is pet-friendly. To read more about the petiquette at the Honnehokke, click here.